CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ethanol and American Politics

I recently helped Lily with her government homework and found the articles somewhat interesting. She had to dicuss the impact of campaign contributions on Congressional behavior. In other words, how much does big business influence American politics?

This is interesting in that I have recently taken an interest in a fairly new television show called "Prison Break." I know I'm behind the times, but since I have had more time to watch television and movies, I have come to appreciate some areas of American pop culture that I before overlooked. For example, I recently watched "Minority Report" and found it to be a very interesting movie. In this movie, Steven Spielberg adapts one of Philip K. Dick's novels. As some of you know, Philip K. Dick has written many science-fiction novels which center around several common themes; these themes include technology, drug use, and paranoia towards government control. Of course, I am oversimplifying the complexity of some of Dick's works.

However, at this point, I think it is worth discussing the mechanisms of American politics, seeing as how the next presidential election is not too far off. Again, I find it intriguing that, without great effort, I find myself entrenched in a subject that greatly correlates with current events. In other words, I did not choose to look into politics at this point. Rather, it sort of just crept up on me.

Back to the point here, I read some interesting articles on ethanol and the motivations behind this "corn-based additive." Many people argue that this will come to replace gasoline, that it is more environmentally-friendly than our current energy sources. However, Lily had to read some articles which debunk this idea. In fact, these articles point out that, if anything, ethanol has the potential to produce in excess 25% more in greenhouse gas emissions than regular gasoline.

Looking at the matter more closely, it seems that in actuality, the ethanol industry has a strong grasp on the politicians' priorities. Back when Bob Dole was running for president, because he supported the ethanol initiative, he received $74,000 in campaign contributions. It is clear as day that, if you are in need of great money for your presidential campaign, you should think twice about shooting down ethanol as a potential option...

What I find more interesting, of course, is the television show that I have recently been watching. I must say, I am really hooked on "Prison Break." In fact, I can't wait to watch the next episode when I have the time and place. Without ruining the overall storyline, the main characters do encounter some larger problems, problems that involve the government and political corruption once it comes down to energy and profit. After all, America is an "energy-based economy," right?

Well, in any case, it will be interesting to see what course America takes in the next several decades to safeguard its power and economy. I just hope that many families will avoid catching fire of the political corruption that is soon to take place once things come down to the line; when peoples' wealth and power are at stake.

On another note, I will be heading back to Beijing tomorrow. I figure it is due time for another visit, because I haven't been back since August. I will be meeting up with one of Lily's friends, Lu kai. He's a really nice guy, we share many jokes together and share a similar sense of humor; so much so that we call each other "gemer," or "bro." I'm not sure what we'll do, but I'm sure we'll hit up some of the tourist hotspots and possible go out on the town at night.

For now, I'll leave with you this picture:

Isn't she beautiful? I miss Lily a lot, but thankfully, she will be coming back to China for Thanksgiving. In this time, we will be reunited again, and we all (as a family) will be able to eat together, enjoy one another's company, and all feel happy and warm. I want to say more about this, and I think I'll save it for next time. The conclusion is that family matters, and the more you become in love with your family, the more life becomes meaningful and worthwhile.

This I also learned from "Prison Break." Each character may seem dangerous, but in the end, they just want to be back at the same point with which we often take for granted. That is, they all want to be back with their families once again. After all, you don't know what you have until it is gone...

Love,

Mike

0 评论: