CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

1:24 AM and down to the hour

It seems that everything is all set at this point. I just got finished visiting with Kellie and Daniel, had a great conversation about past friends and upcoming plans.

Now, the only thing left to do is sleep and wait for Alicia to pick us up sometime before 6 AM. In case you all don't know her, she's Alma's sister; Alma was my boss at Ethnic Loft and is my Austin mom.

Despite the easy task of sleeping, I am suddenly panicking, wondering if I have packed everything I need for the next year. It's funny, I have been asked over the last couple of weeks if I am excited/nervous, but it all didn't quite hit me until now. Wow, I'm going to be leaving my country for longer than a short visit. I don't mean to be making a big deal out of this, but for a Texas homeboy, China is pretty out there.

I was able to realize a little bit of the cultural difference ironically through watching the new Simpsons movie; thanks Alicia and Steve for taking Lily and me!

The Simpsons have always been a funny reflection of American life, but for me, it was a wakeup call to some of the things that have been comforting for me; manners, behavior, cultural jokes, things that I shouldn't expect next year in China.

In any case, today was very nice. I experienced being car-less (I sold my car yesterday to Carmax), walking to and from campus, and I got to meet up with my best friend ("brother"), Valdo.


Valdo is someone special with whom I have become very close in the last couple of years. I am going to miss him so so so so much, he has been very impacting in my life. I think that he was sent my way as a guardian angel to look over and take care of me in Austin; in fact, he helped me numerous times last week, moving furniture all around Austin.

It doesn't really hit you how important and invaluable some people are in your life until they're gone, or away from you for a long time. In a way, this trip to China will help to re-ground me in my relationships with my friends and family. In fact, I sent out an email to my uncle Tommy tonight, hoping to reestablish a good relationship with him; we never fought our butted heads, I just didn't make a better effort to keep in touch with him.

Random facts:

I had precisely enough shampoo to last me today. The shampoo bottle had been sitting in my bathroom for over a year, and it just expired this month!

Lily and I are listening to Coldplay right now, good stuff.

Tokyo doesn't have street names? I'll have to check on this in a couple of days.

I love Lily, my friends and my family!

Here are some more pictures from the last month, enjoy!





Across the ocean, but with love,
Maike

2 评论:

Unknown said...

Wow! Are you going to China with Lily!? I am so excited for you! I hope you two will have a great time over there.

bbz said...

Mike! what else can I say.. Go for it!
3 months ago you were just talking about it now you're there!!
come visit me if you can.


Live life with passion,
Xiaobei