CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Beijing Happenings

Wow, it has been a really long time since I last blogged, apologies. I have been busy as usual, living a new life, seeing new places, experiencing new things, I have so much to tell.

I should start by thanking you all for reading my blog and posting comments, I read them all and it makes me feel appreciated. Haha, Charlie, you always interest me, I'm not sure why you've always shown interest in my blogs (even the one I did for school), but the love is much appreciated.

Since my last blog, I've done pretty much the same in Tianjin. I've spent time with Lily's family, ate endless amounts of delicious food, and I've been slowly learning more Chinese. At this point, I'm able to hold about a 3 minute conversation with Lily's parents.

Lily and I also spent a couple of days in Beijing, where we stayed with "da yi" (eldest aunt) and "da baba" (eldest uncle). They were very hospitable and nice (what else would you expect from Chinese people?), and treated us out to dinner one night.

It is very typical for apartment complexes in China to have a green area with benches around. It is also common for bathrooms to have both the toilet and the showerhead in the same room. I'm sure you're wondering where all the water goes after one takes a shower: down the drain which is usually in the center of the room; I have to admit, this isn't found in every apartment, but it seems to be the rule.

About the dinner, it was very delicious. I tried true Peking (Beijing) roasted duck for the first time (I had roasted duck once already in Tianjin); it was really yummy. Typically, you place the duck meat inside a small thin flour wrap (much like a flour tortilla), along with a special sauce, onion slices, and slices of cucumber.

That said, Lily took me out to the historical area of Beijing, where you can see Tianamen Square, which is across from the Forbidden City and surrounded by "The Great Hall of The People" and a memorial hall for Mao Zedong.

It's always an interesting experience, walking on this Earth where so much history has occurred. Not only the millions who stood in front of Mao Zedong those days when he was above the gate, announcing the new republic and the beginning of a new day for China's people, but even the kings and queens who roamed the Forbidden City bring chills down one's back.

Interesting story about this, Lily told me that Mao never actually walked fully through the Forbidden City, only enough to the extent that he could give his speeches above the gate.

Rumor has it that Mao visited a fortune teller before he became chairman, and this fortune teller warned Mao that he could never enter the Forbidden City. This being that Mao wasn't of royal birth, that he was just a commoner who would one day be a leader. As a result, the kings would haunt Mao if he were to enter the Forbidden City. Too bad for Mao’s superstitions, he really missed out a very amazing palace:

The Forbidden City wasn’t quite what I expected, but areas of it still amazed me. Although I said that areas of historical importance bring chills, I think it is still hard to imagine how these places really were back in the day. My complaint about the Forbidden City is that it is occupied by too many people. This is a real difference from what the place used to be; an area reserved only to the king, his queens and his servants.

However, the garden near the north gate was very beautiful. Located in the center of the park is a very famous (what Lily referred to as) “wedding” tree.

We’ll see what the day brings me one day.

You can also find intricate architecture in the garden and throughout the palatial complex. I was especially impressed by the stone fencing surrounding the temple rooms located atop.

Beijing overall had a lot of historical places to offer, but I’ve already developed a love for the city of Tianjin. Agreeing with Nessa’s comment, Beijing has a lot to improve in the way of its pollution before the Olympics. I remember seeing it on television as well, and now I was able to see it in person. I just can’t imagine how it could be, but you really feel like you’re in a city at the center of a volcano, where smoke is surrounding you all over. It’s not so bad after a while, but it’s a long way from the good ol’ days.

Through Lily, I found out from the taxi cab driver that, back when he was young, the sky was really really blue. Man, that made ME “blue.” I’m thinking that environmentalists could create a “Beijing project” in which they would send a group of people to Beijing for about a week. During this week, they could show what the group’s city “could” be if they allow their environment to go to ruin.

Really though, I should give Beijing (and China for that matter) more credit. For China, this is the start of something amazing and exciting. China’s going through industrialization, and I’m merely a spit in the wind. I think had I been in America 100 years ago, it would be very much the same. I’m rooting for China, its people are wonderful and deserve better quality of life.

0 评论: