CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hong Kong Departure, Other Reflections

I'm waiting downstairs of the Mirador Mansion, sitting next to a Hong Kong-nese woman who is reading the daily paper. We're both in front of her stand, where she is selling a variety of shirts and garments for the many passersby. Again, reminded that I'm in Hong Kong as I see a sleuth of different people, ranging from Malaysian, to Indian, to European, and to Chinese.

I have the same feeling I once possessed the day I left Japan. Although I'm ready to head back to China and begin a new life which has been put on hold, I can't help but feel sad that I'm leaving another part of the world which had been my temporary home.
Well, such is life. As Marc said, change is good. In all honesty, I have sort of been on “the run,” without a permanent home for quite some time. I went from living on campus, to living with Grandpa and Liz (my last "real" home) to having two different apartments in Austin. It has been both good and bad; I can enjoy temporarily living in a place, and when things get bad, I know it won't be for long.

But, the last time I moved out (this past month), I realized that we all need a permanent home. It's rough having to move things out every year; especially being American, we have so much junk. Lily and I realized how many boxes of papers and old mementos we had, which we only look at the day we move out.

The person I do miss the most is my mom though. I thought about her in Hong Kong, and could have sworn I heard her call me at one point on the train. I joked with Lily about that saying adults tell children when a person passes away; that, this person has "gone on vacation" for a long time. I wonder if my mom has been on vacation for several years in Hong Kong. On the other hand, I want to believe that she is always with me in spirit... I believe this.

Fast forward a day later, I'm back in Tianjin now. Once again, I'm in my nice little cocoon, where I have "parents" who drive me around, take me out to places with great food, and are always at my every step. Just now, I said, "wo yao ke kou ke le" ( "I would like coca cola") and baba wanted to put his computer game on hold to go out and by me soda.

I don't know what to say to this kind of treatment. I'd like to write it off as a "cultural" thing, but I really should look more into it and try to understand my relationship with Lily's parents. What I mean is, do they want me to understand that they have accepted me and that, some day, I can repay the favor to them?

I know for sure that my relationship with them will not end after Lily leaves. I've already told myself that I will at least try to visit them once a week. This will be good, not only for learning how to use public tranportation in Tianjin, but also good for my practicing Chinese (the language and culture).I've discussed with Lily her parent's treatment on several occasions, especially when she begins to feel guilt herself. Her guilt lies in being one of the few Chinese who has the opportunity to study in another country, especially the U.S. Moreover, her parents have sacrificed many things for Lily's opportunity to come true. At the time, I did not realize it, being the spoiled American I am; having spent several days in China with Lily's parents, it is all starting to make sense.

See the similarities?
No, really, it goes deeper than that, I'm figuring out each day.

I'm beginning to understand more of Lily beyond this aspect. I forget sometimes that she's Chinese, that she's "just another American." Though this may be true to an extent - Lily does many "American" things - Lily is still Chinese at heart. She has a lot of her parent's compassion and good heartedness in her.


Back to Hong Kong and the rest of my experiences so far, I'm trying not to forget Anthropology and what it has taught me. I take for granted sometimes that I'm in another country, where people think and act differently from America. I feel that my sensitivity towards these differences is lacking at times, and I am reminding myself that I need to be more open-minded.

For example, Chinese people love to eat all sorts of food, things of which I'm not used to eating. One thing in particular is cow's stomach – what they translate as "beef viscous." You can find it in many Hong Kong butcheries, as well as pig intestine.

Here's a fishery shop on one street in Hong Kong:
I think not only do I need to improve upon my cultural sensitivity, but I also need to put forth effort towards my patience. I find myself impatient at times with people and situations, and I lose sight of the way things are. For example, I had zero tolerance towards the crowdedness in Hong Kong, as well as the way in which business is done; specifically, solicitation.

I continually bring this up as much as I have pollution in China. I just couldn't get over the persistence and evasion of private space by the guys waiting at the corner of the streets in Kowloon. These guys almost reach the point of harassment and they'll follow you so far as the next street over.

However, these guys are human beings who are struggling and trying to make it in this world. What I'm getting at is, my decision to go through with moving to and teaching in China was motivated by the reward of gratitude for what I have in America.

Like that saying, "you never know what you have until it's gone." Well, this is true, but you can reverse its implication; "you know what you have when it's gone from others." I think both hold true so far in my China experience. I miss my country and China has made me very proud to say that I'm "American" (something which, for some time, I have taken for granted).

Mike














2 评论:

nolbert said...

Reading your many blogs I realized how important traveling was for me and how it shaped me as a person. I am so glad you have got a chance to experience the many cultures in Hong Kong and yes change is good. I understand were you come from about hearing mom for you and father for me. I swear I heard him while I was driving yesterday. It brings life into focus and shows you how much people mean to you! I hope your doing well and I hope to ready another new blog!

phlezk said...

Damn man. Awesome.