CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007

"Guanxi"

This evening brought great conversation between Lily's father and me. With the help of a Chinese-English dictionary, and my improving Chinese, we were able to discuss some interesting topics concerning business, China, and the future I hold with Lily.

If you all remember, I recently wrote a blog about our "golf experience," where I said that Lily's father and I had to act as "puppets" before his manager and manager's son. Well, that wasn't the best way of putting it -- in fact, I think it was quite presumptuous of me.

However, I was skimming the surface of something crucial in Chinese business and lifestyle; what Chinese people refer to as "guanxi" or (as a crude translation) "networking." It is not an easy topic for me to discuss, because I do not fully understand Chinese business and culture. However, I did learn great deal more about it through Lily's father, and the effects it has on Chinese people and decisions made.

For example, Lily's father explained to me that one of the sole reasons for his wanting Lily to study and later work in America is to avoid Chinese "guanxi." In rough translation, he was explaining to me that networking in China has a good and a bad side, whereas America is fairly decent with its networking effects; not really sure how to better explain it, but he said "Meiguo hao, Zhong guo ye hao, ye bu hao" (America good, China good and bad).

What prompted this discussion was my complaints of my supervisor, "Grace." It seems that anytime I have any dealings with Grace, it ends in frustration. For example, the visa fiasco; lack of internet and television in my room; contract dispute; and now, getting my passport in time to go to South Korea.

That's right, I'm scheduled to leave on Thursday -- September 27th -- and Grace has somehow pushed everything to the last moment on returning to me my passport. You see, they needed my passport to issue me a residence's permit. However, they were able to return to Sean -- the other American teacher -- his passport and paperwork almost two weeks ago! How was I somehow left out? Take that into account that I also gave Grace advanced notice that I would be leaving for South Korea during National Holiday Week, which is next week.

As you can see, I have been met with several bumps in the road. It was as if Lily's father could forsee this, prompting me to offer Grace "gifts." For example, tomorrow is "Mid Autumn Festival," where everyone in China gets together with their family to share "mooncake." Lily's father and mother gave me a coupon for free mooncake to give to Grace. Coincidence? I think not.

Lily's father, after I explained to him my frustrations, also offered to take Grace to the Great Wall when I come back from Korea! Really, all it took was for me to speak the word "guanxi" to Lily's father and everything clicked...

I brought up the golfing experience -- Lily's father nodded. I hinted at the gift and the gesture of taking Grace to the Great Wall -- bingo!

So, my presumptions aren't completely in the dark; they just need refinement. Moreover, it was nice to discuss business with Lily's father. He talked about stocks in Hong Kong, China and the US. He said that Hong Kong's stocks are steadily rising, whereas America is at a standstill and China is super fickle.

I was also happy to understand Lily's fathers' devotion to his daughter -- my Meng Ying. To be willing to be separated from his dauther for the sake of her future -- to give her something more than what China can offer -- is very beautiful. I only hope I can make such a sacrifice one day for my child (if it ever came down to).

It was also another moment in which Lily's father and I bonded. Not to get too ahead of myself, but I contemplated with him the thought of living and working in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong -- on the edge of tomorrow, yet already there.

If you think about it, Hong Kong is at the center of Asia, with Southeast Asia and China its neighbors, and Australia/New Zealand not so far away. Not to mention, Hong Kong is fairly clean and on par with America and Europe in its development. Any way, just a slight consideration.

I love you all very much, and think about you all in every step of the way. Every moment I live brings up the great memories I've had with you all. I really do hope that I have offered you some glimpse into what I've experienced. Or, at the very least, I have enticed you all to consider coming out and seeing me in China ;)

Trust me, communism is here, but it won't haunt you. Rather, you will be met with gracious people, great food, and a luxurious lifestyle that beats America in price any day.

Mike

2 评论:

phlezk said...

very interesting, Mike.

Unknown said...

never thought you could get a comment out of me! i've thought about living in hong kong too... i started warming up to it before i left. it's definitely the incarnation of east meets west, more so than tokyo.

not really sure how i could break into the labor market, though. it's all about finding a decent job...

LOL i'd definitely support you, mike. it'd be even easier to make sfiii references